Today Caitlin was looking up the implications of the zodiac symbol on your health (the things you do!) and interestingly enough both of our signs are supposedly best suited for vegetarian diets (much to my pleasure and my nan's distress. haha)
This is a DELICIOUS dish for anyone, vegetarian or otherwise!
Roasted vegetables are so perfect. The roasted cherry tomatoes become amazingly sweet candy while the zucchini and eggplant develop a buttery sweetness.
The peppers are a nice touch, too.
All the veg is elevated to a super fantastic side dish, or meal, when paired with Israeli couscous.
It is equally tasty with or without the feta cheese on top!
Roasted Vegetable Israeli Couscous
recipe adapted from Take a Megabite
- 1 eggplant
- 1 zucchini
- 1 bell pepper
- a handful of cherry tomatoes
- 3 T olive oil + 1 T for frying pan
- salt + pepper
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 cup Israeli couscous, uncooked
- 1 3/4 cup chicken broth
- feta cheese, crumbled
- Preheat your oven to 350F and line a baking sheet with foil. Wash and slice your eggplant into 1/2 inch rounds. Cover each slice (top and bottom) with a generous amount of salt. Place a paper towel on a plate, top with salted eggplant, layer with another paper towel and then continue with eggplant and finish with paper towel. Place a heavy object on top to press down on the eggplant and get the bitterness out and into the towels. Let the eggplant sit for 20 minutes, then wash off the salt and chop into bite size pieces.
- Chop the zucchini, bell pepper, and cherry tomatoes into bite size pieces. Toss vegetables with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Pour onto the prepared baking sheet in as much of a single layer as possible. Roast in the oven for 60 minutes, tossing half-way through cook-time.
- In a frying pan, heat olive oil and onion for 2 minutes on medium-low heat. Add the uncooked couscous and toast for 3 minutes. Add broth and stir. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Simmer for 5-10 minutes until soft and chewy, but not overcooked. The broth should be mostly evaporated.
- Toss the couscous with the vegetables. Sprinkle with cheese to your liking.